Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Spring Flowers


“She turned to the sunlight
    And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbor:
    Winter is dead.
-A.A. Milne
My favorite flowers are daffodils and this time of year I have a permanent smile as I drive around.  I love seeing the speckle of yellow welcoming Spring.  I also love to find a spot to pick some to bring inside and enjoy.  This weekend I stopped by an old home site that I know and much to my surprise my very favorite daffodil variety was blooming.
By the house
The sight of a field of daffodils always takes my breath away.  I just love them so much!  I enjoyed snapping pictures of them to share with you. 
Field of Daffodils
field
Growing by the tree
This is just my absolute favorite daffodil and that is the only variety growing here.  I have loved this type since I was kid.  I remember there was an old house I used to go pick them at and there was only one bunch like this there.  I called them shredded or chewed daffodils then, they look like a pop of confetti.  They are actually called Van Sion and are an old heirloom bulb that creates a double bloom. 
IMG_6936
I also found a new to me flower, Snoflake, such a pretty bell shape and gorgeous among the yellow daffodils.
Daffodil and Lily of the Valley
Lily of the Valley
There is truly something special about seeing forgotten flowers spring to life each year.  Of course I had to pick a few.  I didn’t take to many as they are beautiful growing right where the are but I can tell you I have enjoyed them inside and they smell great!
Picked Daffodils

bells vase
Hope you are enjoying Spring as much as I am.  The Spring buds are so much more welcoming to me than the leaves turning in the Fall.

April

2 comments:

  1. The first blooms of spring are the best! We have heirloom snowdrops (Galanthea) but I've never seen a snowflake. The two are slightly different, but both very small and white. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have daffodils planted throughout my yard. They are my favorite fliower!!

    ReplyDelete